Tuesday, September 13, 2011

My thoughts on Baltimore (so far)

My last and final AmeriCorps NCCC project takes place in Baltimore, MD. Only 1 hour from where our campus is located. It's the city I flew to when I first left the West Coast, so it's fitting that my last project will allow me to get to know the city better than any place I've been to during my AmeriCorps journey. We are supposed to be living and working in Baltimore for a total of 8 weeks, which will be the longest amount of time I will have stayed in one place since I started NCCC.

Unfortunately, my opinion on Baltimore thus far is not a very positive one. It's a city full of anger and apathy. Twice in the past week I had to pass out flyers at local schools for an after school program and both times I witnessed a mother of a child cuss out a child that did not belong to them. Today the mother called the kid a f*cking bastard and the other day the mother told the kid her address and said if they wanted a fight then they knew where to find her. How do adults think it's ok to talk to kids like that?! I guess it's just part of that never ending cycle that people keep talking about that needs to be broken. Hopefully something I do within the next 8 weeks can influence that break in the cycle.

All around the city there are abandoned houses and buildings and the streets and streams are covered in litter. When I see trash on the streets of cities I find it a clue that there are bigger social, political and/or economical crises happening and waste management is the least of their concerns. When you don't have your basic necessities like food, shelter and clothing taken care of, saving the planet is the least of your concerns.

Being in a city that has issues like Baltimore does, along with the not so sun-shiny weather, can really wear you down. I haven't been in the best of moods lately so hopefully I can find the joys in my project and something fun to do in the surrounding areas. My project officially started today with the after school program and these kids definitely have some ATTITUDE. It's pretty hilarious actually. It's also pretty hilarious how I can't say most of their names right. They're definitely names from a culture I don't belong to.

Inner harbor, where the stores, restaurants and stadiums are, is a complete turn around from the community I am staying in. It's weird for one city to have this huge contrast within blocks. If you were to visit inner harbor, you would have no idea about the issues the rest of the city is facing. I plan on taking advantage of this facade and plan on going there on my days off to explore. They have a Barnes & Noble! Also, DC is only a $14 train ride away!

Hopefully I'll be able to update on any new thoughts about Baltimore on a regular basis. Hopefully the people and city will grow on me!

No comments:

Post a Comment